NY Truck Accident Attorneys Representing Injured Drivers in the Bronx
Obtaining the compensation you deserve when you are injured by an 18-wheeler
Truck accidents can be devastating, both to the victim and his or her family. Since trucks are so much bigger than cars and motorcycles, a truck accident can have cataclysmic effects, even at a low impact, and can result in serious back injuries, spinal cord damage, brain injury or even death. James Newman, P.C. has been helping accident victims collect fair and just compensation for their injuries for more than 35 years. Our focus is singular— your recovery.
What causes truck accidents?
In our experience, the truck driver is not often solely responsible for the accident — however, some truckers are under significant pressure by their employers to meet deadlines. Truck drivers under this kind of pressure can develop stress, suffer from driver fatigue due to lack of sleep, use dangerous substances to stay awake, and cut corners when it comes to maintaining their trucks. For innocent drivers on the road, it’s a recipe for disaster.
In the cases we’ve handled, our attorneys have seen the following factors play a role in truck and car accidents:
- Turning — Large trucks need a lot of room to turn, and often need more than just one lane to make a right turn. This can result in unsuspecting passenger vehicles being crushed, especially if the truck driver is careless and fails to check his or her mirrors.
- Fatigue — Studies of truck drivers show that the average truck driver only gets 4.8 hours of sleep per night. Although the laws have changed to limit continuous drive time and mandate regular rest, many truckers still drive long hours in order to keep up with company demands and falsify logs.
- Brake time — Because of their huge size and weight, trucks can’t stop as quickly or easily as cars. A rear-end collision from a truck can be significantly more devastating than one from a smaller automobile.
- Jack-knife — Jackknifing occurs when a truck suddenly stops and the load shifts, causing the trailer to slide around sideways, often crashing into or crushing other vehicles on the road.
- Stimulants — Due to the long hours on the road, many truckers have turned to stimulants to help keep them awake — even certain stimulants that are illegal. Once the high from a stimulant wears off, the trucker may fall asleep rapidly and cause an accident.
How often do truck accidents occur?
According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, 10,345 truck accidents occurred in NY in 2012, injuring 4,873 people and killing 92 others. Indeed, trucking accidents often involve dangerous behavior behind the wheel such as unsafe backing up, drowsy driving or careless lane changing. However, mechanical issues, such as defective brakes and tire failure, also cause or contribute to a high number of New York truck collisions. In the Bronx, just like all of New York City, delivery trucks are involved in many accidents, which occur due to their shape, size and frequent double-parking and short distance driving.
Regardless of the type of truck that caused your accident, the lawyers at James Newman, P.C. can assist you in pursuing damages from any person or entity liable. When appropriate, we seek compensation not only from the responsible driver and the insurance company, but also from the trucking company that employs or contracts the driver.
Rely on Bronx trucking accident lawyers who fight for the compensation you deserve
At James Newman, P.C., our attorneys have been working for victims and their families for more than 35 years. If you or someone you love is injured in a truck accident that resulted from negligence, we can help you seek the coverage to which you are entitled. Schedule a free initial consultation and discuss your case with attorneys James Newman and Kyle Newman today — call 718-823-3122 or contact us online. We are easily reached by car or public transportation.